Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Wednesday Writing: A Tattered Life

I've not had much time to work on this, but it's my new WIP, based on the 2011 tornadoes that tore through the south. Jock Jaden who doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself, is having a fling with white trash, Payton behind his cheerleader girlfriend's back. He's supposed to be home with his mom picking up tornado debris from his yard. 

He has a lot to learn. 

Feel free to leave comments, but don't forget, it's a first draft.




We fling our seat belts off, move in and reposition our bodies so we’re as close as possible. My hands immediately make my way up Payton’s skirt, hers to my hair. Our desperate lips press together, having missed the forbidden taste of the others for the last twenty-four hours. She climbs up and straddles me, hands moving from my hair to my face. I don’t know why, but I love when she cradles my face in her hands. It feels very…intimate, which sounds stupid coming from me, because I’m not one of those overly sentimental guys. The rest of the gory details I save for Eli.
We sit quiet as we always do when it’s over, for a few minutes anyway. “I should take you home.”
“The bus.”
“Right. The bus.” She shot me a glare. Payton never lets me take her home. Not all the way anyway. It was the bus, or back to the diner, or back to school, or a few blocks away from home. Never just home. One day I think I’ll follow her and find out why.
I pull up to the bus stop, glance around to make no one is looking, then lean in and give Payton a peck on the cheek. She slides out of the truck and grabs her backpack. Before shutting the door she leans in as says, “Jaden, I—,” but stops short. She looks at her feet and stays quiet.
“What is it girl? I gotta get home. My mama’s gonna have my hide as it is.”
Looking back up she flashes a sad smile and says, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Okay, babe.” I watch her step back from the truck and stand next to the bus stop. I shake my head. For sure, that girl and I have little in common, but there is something between us, I’m just not sure what it is.






No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews