Monday, August 13, 2012

Don't you hate it when...

...you're in the middle of writing a novel you think is different and new and the best thing since white chocolate, and no one will have ever thought up the idea, and then you come across a book (or a movie, or TV show) with the same general premise?

I do. I hate that.

After I wrote the superhero book, out came The Incredibles, Sky High,  and Heroes.

Last year a book came out with the same subject matter  as a book I wrote a few years back.

Then last week I found out there was a middle grade book with the same fantasy theme as one I just started writing!!!

The thing is, even though it's kind of annoying, it doesn't matter. Give two people or five or ten for that matter the same character, same setting, same plot line even and you're still going to get ten different manuscripts. No one will write the same story.

So next time you have that great next big idea, then find out someone's already writing it, don't get discouraged, don't stop, keep going. That other person and you can never write the exact same book. And hey, yours may be better. :)

7 comments:

  1. This happened to me recently and I kind of freaked out a little and debated whether or not to continue writing. BUT then I went on to contrast the two stories and found that the differences outweighed the similarities. Also, I've already spent 2 years working on this story. I'm not giving it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know EXACTLY how that feels. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've heard it said that there have been no new stories since Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About a year ago, I finished my first novel and started shopping it around. Three days after sending the first query, I was in a B&N and saw a big, shiny hardcover sitting on the top SF shelf. With my title. Yeah, it felt like a kick in the privates. I liked that title so much….

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it shouldn't matter, but to me, it does. My mind jumps way ahead and imagines a critic/reviewed saying (of my book): "Not very original. Too much like XXX." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I know it's hard to take, and yeah, someone will say it's not original even if you started writing your book before the other came out.

    Demion points out titles, that's a good one too. I mean, we can have the same titles, but if they end up being a best seller, yeah, back to the drawing board.

    Thank you all for your comments!

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews